Skip to main content

Happy Birthday to Mommy!

So, today is Wendy and my 37th birthday!  Instead of being bummed that we can't celebrate together, I have gotten into the habit, of being thankful for what I do have - my kids and hubby and a great support system of other family and friends!  Here is how my family made my day special.
Card my kids made for me
 Last week when we went shopping for groceries, I told my oldest daughter that she could pick out a cake mix for my birthday.  She didn't have to be reminded to make it this morning.  I got "banned" from the house while they made preparations.  They even ran over to the neighbors for milk since we were out - and she offered to mix up the icing for them since I didn't have any on hand. 

Last week for July 4, I showed the girls how to clip a small hole in the corner of a ziplock bag to use to pipe icing in designs onto a cake - that is what she did here - she tinted the icing the neighbor made by adding cocoa to it!  Very sweet.  Certainly not "perfect", but I'll take this over perfect any day.
They baked this cake all by themselves. 
Our neighbor kindly made the icing for them.

They surprised me with chicken nuggets and cucumbers
for lunch on the front porch!

A strawberry smoothie for dessert!
Yes, I ended up helping clean up dishes - that step will come in time.  I had a great day.  My hubby came home with an adorable card - and tickets to a music theater to see a comedian we enjoy - I am excited!!  It's been a happy birthday.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grandma's Lep Cookies

   Old-Fashioned Lep Cakes  Plan ahead, these need to be refrigerated overnight. Beat together: 3 cups sugar 2 eggs 1 cup oil Mix together: 2 tsp baking soda 1 tsp cream of tartar 2 cups buttermilk Slowly add buttermilk and 6 cups of flour to sugar until it is all mixed together. Add 1 Tbsp Vanilla Refrigerate overnight. Crumbs Mix together: 1 cup flour 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup shortening Drop by spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet. Put 1 tbsp crumbs on top of each cookie. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes Her Great Grandson Trevor Yutzy having a Lep Cookie! Grandma Weaver on her porch  August 2008 This recipe is my childhood favorite. My Grandma Sadie Weaver made them for us. When we would stop by to see her she would always have these cookies. We loved them dipped in a cold glass of milk!

Popcorn!

Jolly Time Popcorn For those of you who know my husband, he has a sense of humor that I love! He's been making fun of me for taking soooo many pictures of FOOD lately. When I started taking this impromptu video of him making popcorn, he got right into it! Jolly Time Popcorn: Pour  about 1/ 2 cup oil in the kettle.  May need to adjust measurements to fit your kettle size. Turn to a high heat and add 1/2 cup kernels. Be sure to keep a close eye on it and shake it to keep the kernels from burning. Once all the kernels stop popping remove from heat and salt. When Jeff and I first got married I didn't eat popcorn. I really didn't like getting the kernels stuck between my teeth! Then he introduced me to Tiny Tender Popcorn and Ladyfinger. I couldn't believe the difference! Every time we go to Indiana, Ohio or Pennsylvania we buy as much as we can. We can go through a 50 lb bag in about 1 year! It's a relatively healthy snack, and it

Iced Coffee Concentrate

From Wanda's Kitchen 2 cups boiling water 1/2 cup instant coffee 1/4 cup vanilla syrup (sugar free) 1 cup sugar (or you could use splenda or other sweetener if desired) Dissolve all ingredients into boiling water.  Chill. To serve, mix 1/4 cup concentrate with 1 cup milk.  Serve with ice and whip topping if desired. Perfect for our 90 degree summer days!