Skip to main content

Crockpot Apple Butter

Crockpot Apple Butter

Adapted from Shirley's Apple Butter
Page 18 Fix It and Forget It
Dawn Ranck and Phyllis Pellman Good

4 quarts finely chopped tart apples
2 3/4 cups sugar
2 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/8 tsp. salt

First place apples into crockpot.
Combine spices and sugar and pour over the apples. Stir well.
Place lid on crockpot and turn to High for 3 hours.
Make sure you stir the apples every hour.
After 3 hours, turn heat down to low and cook for 10-12 hours more.
Stir occasionally during this time with a wire whisk. The whisk allows you to break up the apple pieces into a sauce.
Apple butter will become thick and dark as it cooks.
You can freeze or can to preserve.

To can, simply ladle hot apple butter into sterilized canning jars. Screw lids on to seal. Tip: If your jars are clean and DRY, you can pour hot applebutter directly into the jars. If your jars are wet - they may burst or crack.




Why Apple Butter?


     Recently, I read a post by a friend of mine who grew up in Virginia.  She had the opportunity to go to Virginia for her family's special time of Apple Butter making.  As I read her blog post and saw the pictures, it reminded me of our family's special times of getting together to husk corn, cut it off the cob, and freeze for later.  I really enjoyed those times when I was a kid. It was special to be together and work together. 
     Unfortunately, those times are becoming a lost "art" for many. As I have been thinking about ideas for my blog, I came across a letter written by my Grandma Weaver.  She was telling us about the days when she was little. 

     In the letter she wrote, "We would make our own apple butter in a large copper kettle.  We put it in gallon crocks and tied wax paper around the top.  The neighbors got together and snitzed (cut up) the apples the night before.  They would help us, and later, we would go to their place and help them. We sang, and Ivan played the mouth organ.  It was a reason to get together and fellowship."

I had no idea how to make apple butter! I was just amazed at Parla's blog post!
Some day I would love to be a part of an applebutter making day!

As I shared this with my sister Wanda, she said, "Oh, I just made some in my crockpot!"    I never knew you could do that!!

So, even though times are changing we can still enjoy this delicious spread on our bread!  I haven't tasted apple butter in years!  I think I'm going to the store to buy some apples!!

If you live in a place where apples are plentiful and you pick them from the trees, don't take them for granted!

Hey, at least I can go buy a bag at Sobeys!  

Comments

  1. Hey, great idea! I've had the thought several times this year when we picked apples that I should make apple butter - hadn't thought about the crock pot. I even have that cookbook!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grandma's Lep Cookies

   Old-Fashioned Lep Cakes  Plan ahead, these need to be refrigerated overnight. Beat together: 3 cups sugar 2 eggs 1 cup oil Mix together: 2 tsp baking soda 1 tsp cream of tartar 2 cups buttermilk Slowly add buttermilk and 6 cups of flour to sugar until it is all mixed together. Add 1 Tbsp Vanilla Refrigerate overnight. Crumbs Mix together: 1 cup flour 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup shortening Drop by spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet. Put 1 tbsp crumbs on top of each cookie. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes Her Great Grandson Trevor Yutzy having a Lep Cookie! Grandma Weaver on her porch  August 2008 This recipe is my childhood favorite. My Grandma Sadie Weaver made them for us. When we would stop by to see her she would always have these cookies. We loved them dipped in a cold glass of milk!

Popcorn!

Jolly Time Popcorn For those of you who know my husband, he has a sense of humor that I love! He's been making fun of me for taking soooo many pictures of FOOD lately. When I started taking this impromptu video of him making popcorn, he got right into it! Jolly Time Popcorn: Pour  about 1/ 2 cup oil in the kettle.  May need to adjust measurements to fit your kettle size. Turn to a high heat and add 1/2 cup kernels. Be sure to keep a close eye on it and shake it to keep the kernels from burning. Once all the kernels stop popping remove from heat and salt. When Jeff and I first got married I didn't eat popcorn. I really didn't like getting the kernels stuck between my teeth! Then he introduced me to Tiny Tender Popcorn and Ladyfinger. I couldn't believe the difference! Every time we go to Indiana, Ohio or Pennsylvania we buy as much as we can. We can go through a 50 lb bag in about 1 year! It's a relatively healthy snack, and it

Iced Coffee Concentrate

From Wanda's Kitchen 2 cups boiling water 1/2 cup instant coffee 1/4 cup vanilla syrup (sugar free) 1 cup sugar (or you could use splenda or other sweetener if desired) Dissolve all ingredients into boiling water.  Chill. To serve, mix 1/4 cup concentrate with 1 cup milk.  Serve with ice and whip topping if desired. Perfect for our 90 degree summer days!